Tuesday, May 18, 2010

SHREK!






Last summer I did an internship at Farrar, Straus, & Giroux Publishing. The art director, Robbin Gourley, let me work on the twentieth anniversary cover of William Steig's, SHREK! (which both the movies and new Broadway play are based off of). Gourley, who was both a designer and illustrator, told me that Steig was her favorite illustrator, so I felt privileged to be able to work on the project. In the top photo is the original paperback copy of SHREK! (blue and purple cover). I originally wanted to make the anniversary edition almost all green, but ended up doing something a little more simple, graphic, and clean. Sarah Knotz, who I went to school with at SVA, did the endpapers...I think they look really good. This book is worth a read if you have only ever seen the movie! Steig is not only a fabulous illustrator, but a clever & humorous storyteller capable of entertaining children and adults simultaneously.